Saturday 10 March 2012

Luke 14:26 He cannot be my disciple



            James Tissot, The Exhortation to the Apostles.

26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. -Luke 14:26 Bible, King James Version


I do not believe Jesus would advocate hating anyone or that He is saying that we should not love our families. I think Matthew gives us a better understanding of what He meant when he quotes Jesus as saying: 37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:37 Bible, King James Version. We love most those who we place first in our lives. If we place our families first instead of God and His Masters then we are not serving God and so we cannot be a true disciple.

No comments:

Post a Comment